Don’t Tippy the Canoe


Sunday I decided to go canoeing. I brought the dog.

(She’s just so darn cute, I had to post her again.)

It was going to be a great day out on the lake. I was prepared. I had my Tervis Tumbler full of icy sweet tea, my camera-equipped cell phone to capture a few shots and the latest edition of Southern Living in case I got bored. Slathered in sunscreen for my fair skin to absorb the rays shining down on a few hours floating around doing nothing, I was ready to go. We launched and as this was SugarPie’s first boat ride, I had to soothe her a bit as she got used to the combination of my rowing and the boat swaying. Soon she was a pro, though, and spent her time navigating.

What I hadn’t prepared for was the weather. Sunday, south Georgia was hit with a strong, fast and southern-moving storm system. I had managed to pick the perfect time to go sailing – only I didn’t have a sail. The wind gusts picked up about 20 minutes after we put in and despite my best efforts, I was not able to overcome the strength of the wind to get back across the lake. Rather than get stuck against the steep embankment on the opposite side of the lake, wherein I would have to get in the water and swim back to shore, I decided to just “dock” the boat in the low inlet directly across the lake — which means we were walking back, dressed in a tank top and shorts. At the time, I was mad. Now, it’s just too funny.

What started as a sun-soaked lazy afternoon on the boat turned into a mad dash to get off the lake and a twenty minute hike through swarming mosquitos and a poison ivy around the back of the lake. Like most things, I decided to make the best of it.

It had been a while since I had driven the four wheeler around the lake, let alone walked around it. I checked on the blackberry spots, which were in full bloom. Definitely good signs for late May picking! And I noticed a few places that were normally under water in early spring were not. It’s been exceptionally dry and our lake has not fully recovered from the last two dry, hot summers.

I’m glad I kept my eyes on the ground. Here’s how close I got to a major poison ivy attack. (Now imagine me hopping around out there on my tip toes around the ivy and the blackberry briars.)

Lots and lots of poison ivy.

More photos of the walk. (This was before the poison ivy.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s