I have found the best way to cure a craving is to feed it.
Sunday, lasagna. Delicious lasagna. I wanted my mother’s lasagna. Only problem: I am doing my best to stay within my Weight Watchers daily points, and limit my weekly points to no more than 30 out of 49 for the week. Doing this means definitely not what I was imagining: eating a huge slice of my mother’s lasagna.
Solution: low fat cheese options.
And at 12 PP per serving (9 servings per lasagna), it totally quelled the craving.
Here’s what you need:
1 lb. Italian sausage, casing removed
1 jar (26 oz.) spaghetti sauce
12 oz. box of oven ready lasagna noodles (I only used 3/4 of the box)
1 cup water
24 oz. container low fat (2%) cottage cheese
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 t. Garlic salt
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Brown and crumble sausage, drain and pat out grease with paper towels. Mix in pan with water and spaghetti sauce.
3. In another bowl, mix cottage cheese, parmesan, 3/4 c. Mozzarella, seasonings and eggs.
4. Put 1/2 c. sauce in bottom of non-stick spray coated 13″-by-9″ casserole pan. Layer in this order: noodles, 1/2 cheese mix, 1/3 sauce, noodles, 1/2 cheese mix, 1/3 sauce, noodles, rest of sauce and mozzarella cheese.
5. Wrap in tightly in two layers of aluminum foil. Bake 60 minutes.
6. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.