Mini, regular and mega. Just for fun, I made these muffins in three different sizes.
I modified the Weight Watchers recipe Banana-Coconut-Oat muffins from the “I ❤ Leftovers" cookbook. I essentially omitted the coconut and added apples and walnuts. I also added cinnamon and vanilla extract; the original recipe was a bit bland.
Also, if you don't add the walnuts and bake them all at the regular muffin size, it is only 4 PP per muffin.
Here’s what you need:
2-1/4 c. Whole wheat flour
1-1/2 c. Old fashioned oats
1 t. Cinnamon
1 t. Nutmeg, ground
2 t. Baking soda
1/3 c. Packed brown sugar
1-1/2 c. Low fat buttermilk
1 t. Vanilla extract
3 egg whites
3 t. Olive oil (recipe calls for canola)
3 T. Chopped walnuts
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 medium apples (like Fuji or Gala), peeled, cored and chopped
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. (I prefer olive oil spray.)
2. Combine wet ingredients including sugar in one bowl.
3. Combine dry ingredients and then add wet ingredients until just blended. Stir in walnuts.
4. Scoop by ice cream scoop (my favorite method) into regular muffin tins. If using mini, use a melon baller.
5. Bake for 16 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
I made a mega muffin by dumping all of the last mix into one muffin tin slot, heaping it in there!