I forgot I knew how to make quiche until Mom reminded me.
I was talking, well, really complaining, that I was running out of low carb ideas for supper, that I would actually want to eat. My husband loves low carb meals and I prefer whole grains and lean protein. So, I have to get creative.
Mom used to make us quiche all the time when I was little. The only difference with mine is that I am not pouring the filling into a pre-made pie crust painted with a layer of yellow mustard (although, I love that version!).
For this quiche I used what I had on hand and in the freezer. Other combos that would be great are sausage and cheddar, adding ham to the one I made, and a feta and red pepper version.
Here’s what you need:
1/4 c half and half
1/2 c chopped broccoli (I used frozen)
3 slices provolone
1/4-1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
2 T chopped green onions
1/2 t onion and garlic powder
1 T Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking spray
Here’s what you do
1. Preheat oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook frozen broccoli in steamable package 2/3 of the way. While cooking, whisk together the all but provolone in medium bowl.
3. Arrange broccoli on plate and chop with kitchen shears to get to desired size. (I think it cooks better if broccoli is chopped to about 1/2 inch bits. It makes it easier to eat without huge chunks falling out of the mix too.)
4. Cut provolone into thin strips (like julienne) and arrange over broccoli. Pour egg mixture over top, sprinkle with a little more Parmesan and pit in oven.
5. Cook about 15-20 minutes until cooked through and top browns. (It will smell amazing!) The top will rise like a soufflé but that’s ok. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
I ate a quarter of the pie with some extra broccoli, and a mini bagel with a bit of pumpkin spice cream cheese. My husband ate the rest of the pie with some Duke’s mayonnaise–another staple of our household.
It’s turned from fall to winter in the last few days.
I am escaping the cold for a few days with a business trip to Orlando, Disney World to be exact. The conference I am attending is actually at Disney. I am leaving this morning and won’t be back until Sunday. And, my hubby is not going. I am going to miss him terribly but I do admit I will not miss the football all day Saturday and Sunday. Every game is important to him and I am a one game a week kinda girl.
I think I need a hobby.